The Willows Veterinary Hospital is one of the most experienced veterinary practices in Cheshire offering laparoscopic or ‘keyhole’ bitch spays. Even now there are few vets in Cheshire who perform keyhole bitch spays.
The benefits of having your bitch spayed are:
- Your bitch will not come into season
- It will reduce the risk of your bitch developing mammary tumours
- As only the ovaries are removed there is no increased risk of the life threatening disease Pyometra
- No unwanted puppies
In a conventional spay, a large incision is made to allow the surgeon good visualisation and handling , and both the ovaries and the womb are removed. Whilst this may be an everyday procedure it is still major surgery as anyone who has had a hysterectomy will know!!
With keyhole surgery small holes (approx 5mm – 10mm in diameter) are made through the skin and muscle through which a camera and very slender surgical instruments can be introduced to perform the surgery. With the camera images being fed to a large screen and effectively magnifying the internal organs, the surgeon is able to operate with exact precision. With keyhole spays only the ovaries are removed.
Whilst keyhole surgery is nowhere near as invasive as conventional surgery your pet will receive appropriate pain relief, before, during and after the procedure.
The benefits of keyhole surgery are:
- Quicker recovery time after surgery
- Less discomfort for your dog
- Faster wound healing times and smaller wounds. This is especially beneficial if your dog is particularly energetic.
If you would like to talk to us in more detail about this procedure please leave your details with our friendly reception team and one of our surgeons will be happy to call you back and answer any questions.
Keyhole bitch spay costs are dependent upon the weight of your animal.